Sunday, December 4, 2011

Nothing intelligent to say about the BCS bummer for the Donks

Tonight, the facebook/twitterverse is exploding with the disappointment from my Bronco friends.  I remain under-informed about the nuances of the BCS system, despite watching enthralling videos like the spelling bee analogy (Funny Video Here) and half-way listening to people who know/care try to explain it. 

I get the basics - Broncos don't get in even though they win almost all of the time and this causes fury and is blamed on the "man" and his archaic, snooty ways.  Now they are in a bowl game that isn't good enough to let them prove how good they are, thus restarting the cycle of them not being able to prove how good they are and play better games next year.  The rest is just unnecessary details.  Especially for me, a fan/graduate of the University of Idaho.  At the UI, our football chants include, "Win or Lose, There's Always Booze!"  Girls like me take great pleasure in getting drunk and singing the [awesome] fight song with frat boys of all ages, regardless of the score.  We don't need to manage our expectations, because we don't have them.  "Hey we aren't losing yet!  Yippee!!!" runs through my mind more often than not. 

But this isn't about UI, as the Broncos like to remind me everytime I laugh at their loss and disappointment. This is about ASU!  I think I'm excited to root for ASU against BSU in the MAACO bowl.  I was thinking first that I could turn this into a UI thing by saying that ASU's coach Dennis Erikson used to be the Vandal coach, so it was like rooting for the Vandals against BSU sort of, but my mad Google-fact-checking skills just told me he got fired recently.  Oh well, I have clearly deliberated this match up enough.  Go Sun Devils!

1 comment: